Career path for an IT professional
As a trained IT professional, you can build a great career in any industry that uses software solutions.
On completing a career course, this is what your career path in a software company typically looks like:
- Developer (Entry level)
- Module Leader (Intermediate)
- Project Lead (Senior)
- Project Manager (Manager)
- Delivery manager (Manager)
Depending on your aptitude, area of interest & qualification, you can choose to work in any of the following job profiles:
- This is an entry level position in a software company.
- Programmers write programs in C, C#, Java, .NET etc as per system requirements.
- They create, test, debug & deploy code i.e. software programs to fulfill certain business requirements.
- Web developers are programmers who work on online (web) applications
- They build a website with various interactive forms, shopping carts, payment gateway etc
- They usually work with programming languages (such as Java, VB Script, MS-SQL, MySQL CGI, Perl, Visual C++, C#, SQL, JSP, ASP.NET, PHP, XML & DHTML)
- System analysts study the needs of end users & define their requirements through documents/ processes.
- They also translate broad level business requirements into technical specifications which is then used by programmers
- This is also an entry level position in some companies
- Testing & QA persons test software programs to ensure it works as per requirements
- They conduct different types of testing like regression testing, black box testing, integration testing at various stages in the software development life cycle
- QA team's main task is to monitor & improve the processes by which software is created.
- They also ensure that industry level standards/procedures are followed while implementing the project.
- Database experts, DBAs organize & store the huge store of data that the company has
- They analyze, design & build databases to secure business data, & monitor its access.
- Another task they do is to perform database administration & maintainance to ensure data integrity & security.
- A Project manager is a high-level profile in the team. He/she heads a team of software developers, & 1 or more team leader/project leader
- As part of your career growth, once you join as a developer, you can grow to become a module leader, project lead & then a project manager
- A project manager needs to understands the customer's requirements,proposes solutions & gets their approval
- He /she co-ordinates between the technical & functional teams to ensure smooth functioning of the project
Want to join this exciting industry? Talk to an Aptech counsellor now!